We believe passionately in giving back to the community. For over 18 years, Naomi Korn Associates has developed free and openly licensed copyright, licensing and data protection help resources. These are suitable for staff working in cultural heritage, educational and publishing contexts and available under the terms of a Creative Commons Attribution Share Alike Licence to enable free access and reuse.
- Model Deed of Assignment of Copyright (Volunteers) (2020) Developed by Naomi Korn Associates as part of a project commissioned by Museum Development Yorkshire.
- Copyright Agreement Template (2018) Copyright clearance tool for seeking permissions and/or an assignment of copyright.
- Copyright Fact Sheet (2021) Overview of copyright key points and recommended further reading.
- Copyright Checklists (2021) Reasonable searches checklists, top tips for negotiating permissions and how to mitigate rights related risks.
- Exceptions to Copyright (2021) Guidance regarding the UK’s exceptions to copyright for museums, libraries, archives and educational establishments.
- A Guide to Copyright and Working with Suppliers to Create Digital Content (2020) Best practice steps and guidance to help heritage organisations manage copyright effectively when working with suppliers. This guide was produced as part of the Heritage Digital project funded by the National Lottery Heritage Fund.
- Free webinar: Copyright and Suppliers: How to get the rights you need in new digital content (2020) A webinar led by Naomi Korn outlining practical tools and frameworks to help heritage organisations understand copyright when working with suppliers. The webinar was run as part of the Heritage Digital project funded by the National Lottery Heritage Fund.
- Free webinar: A Basic Introduction to Copyright (2020) A webinar introducing the basics of copyright lead by Naomi Korn in partnership with DP Tripathi, Assistant Librarian at Biju Patnaik Central Library (BPCL).
- Copyright for Artists (2020) Top tips about copyright for artists.
- A History of Copyright (2019) Origination of copyright laws and information about the new EU Copyright Directive.
Intellectual Property Rights
- Brexit, Intellectual Property Rights and Heritage: What you need to know (2021) Information and guidance for heritage organisations about IP changes following the UK’s departure from the EU. This guide was produced as part of the Heritage Digital project funded by the National Lottery Heritage Fund.
- Free webinar: Brexit, Intellectual Property Rights and Heritage: What you need to know(2021) A webinar led by Naomi Korn providing an overview of the recent changes to IP following Brexit. The webinar was run as part of the Heritage Digital project funded by the National Lottery Heritage Fund.
- IP and Copyright: Licensing & protecting within DAMS (2020) Presentation slides for a free webinar in partnership with Capture Ltd.
- Licensing Digital Resources to Create Revenue (2014) In this webinar, Naomi Korn discusses IPR and licensing digital content.
- Sustaining Digital Resources: The importance of intellectual property rights for universities (2012) Video with Naomi Korn
Orphan Works and Risk Management
- Orphan Works and 2021 Update (2021) A detailed overview of the changes made to the way orphan works are managed following the UK’s departure from European Union. This resource was originally published in March 2021.
- Orphan Works: Treasure in the rubbish (2011) A case study with the IWM’s document curator Rod Suddaby. Video created by the Strategic Content Alliance.
- In From the Cold: A survey of the impact and extent of orphan works (2009) by Naomi Korn. Funded by Jisc and Collections Trust. The first UK comprehensive studies examining the scale and impact on public service delivery of orphan works.
- Free webinar: Brexit, Data Protection and Heritage: What you need to know (2021) A webinar led by Naomi Korn exploring the impact of Brexit and the priorities for heritage organisations in terms of their data protection obligations and the processing of personal data. The webinar was run as part of the Heritage Digital project funded by the National Lottery Heritage Fund.
- Data Protection for Artists (2020) Fact sheet and top tips about data protection specifically for artists.
- FAQS Data Protection (2018) by Naomi Korn Associates Ltd
- Museums & GDPR (2017) Webinar with Naomi Korn and the Information Commissioners Office arranged by the Museums and Heritage Show
- Top 10 GDPR Tips (2017) Blog post by Naomi Korn
Museums: Copyright and Data Protection
- Orphan Works Guidance (2021) An overview of the options available for re-using orphan works as well as our top tips for risk mitigation.
- Volunteers and Legal Compliance (2020) Copy of slides from free webinar in partnership with Museums Development Yorkshire looking at Volunteers and Legal Compliance within museums.
- Volunteers and Intellectual Property Rights FAQs (2020) FAQ’s developed by Naomi Korn Associates as part of a project commissioned by Museum Development Yorkshire.
- Intellectual Property Rights and Data Protection Legal Compliance at Your Museum – Guidance (2020) Developed by Naomi Korn Associates as part of a project commissioned by Museum Development Yorkshire.
- Advanced Copyright Q&A for Museums (2018) A collection of commonly asked copyright questions about IPR in museums. Written by Naomi Korn and funded by Museums Development Yorkshire.
- Copyright for Museums and Galleries(2017) Comprehensive overview by Naomi Korn about the copyright related activities and issues for museums and galleries (published on the Copyright User website).
- Exploiting Museum Assets – York Museums Trust Help Sheet (2015) An overview and guidance of how IP assets can be commercialised. Written by Naomi Korn and funded by York Museums Trust.
Online Privacy and Security
- Online Privacy and Security Guide (2020) Advice and resources for heritage organisations to help them keep information secure and safeguard people’s privacy when working remotely and from home.
Legal Compliance and the Workplace
- Working From Home: Legal compliance (2020) Top tips for working from home relating to data protection and copyright compliance.
Creative Commons and Open Content Licensing
- Guidelines for Re-using Images from Wiki Sites (2020) A detailed overview adapted from a blog post by Julia Ruxton, Consultant and Rights Researcher at Naomi Korn Associates.
- Sources of Authoritative Free Content: UK museums and cultural organisations (2020) Factsheet and sources of free to use Creative Commons licenced images.
- Turning a Resource into an Open Educational Resource (2014) An animation by the OER IPR Support project team developed to outline the key issues and next steps for teaching and learning staff.
- Understanding IPR and Licensing for OER Projects (2010) Film by Guy Shapir; Naomi Korn explains how Jisc-funded projects can ensure that they consider the rights issues and choose the right Creative Commons licence for their project.
Open Data Licensing
- Open Data Licensing (2012) A short animation with Phil Barker, Tony Hirst and Martin Hawskey
- Licensing Open Data: A practical guide (2011) A briefing paper by Naomi Korn and Charles Oppenheim examining the different types of licences and related issues associated with open data.
Sorting out Rights and Permissions
- Digitisation, Contract Negoitation, Rights Management and You (2017) Blog post by Naomi Korn
- Checklists: Rights, Risks and Rewards(2016) Blog post by Naomi Korn.
- Rights and Permissions: Not re-inventing the wheel (2011) Video of a presentation by Naomi Korn.
- Creative Commons Licences in Practice (2011) Video with Chara Balasubramaniam, Deputy Head of e-learning at St George’s, University of London. A film by Naomi Korn, Emma Beer, and Guy Shapir.
Copyright Training Resources
- Copyright, Licensing and Digital Images: Teaching the teachers what they can use when they teach (2016) Presentation slides by Naomi Korn
- A First World War Diary: A 21st century copyright problem (2016) Blog post by Naomi Korn on the legal conundrum posed by Ethel Bilborough’s diary.
- Copyright: The card game (2015) A training resource developed in association with Dr Jane Secker and Chris Morrison
Copyright and Data Protection – Webinar Archive
- A collection of free copyright and data protection webinars hosted on the Naomi Korn Associates YouTube channel – click here to visit and subscribe.