We believe passionately in giving back to the community. For over 18 years, Naomi Korn Associates has developed free and openly licensed copyright, licensing and data protection help resources. These are suitable for staff working in cultural heritage, educational and publishing contexts and available under the terms of a Creative Commons Attribution Share Alike Licence to enable free access and reuse.
- Model Deed of Assignment of Copyright (Volunteers) (2020) Developed by Naomi Korn Associates as part of a project commissioned by Museum Development Yorkshire.
- Copyright Agreement Template (2018) Copyright clearance tool created by Naomi Korn Associates which can be used for seeking permissions and/or an assignment of copyright.
- Copyright Fact Sheet (2021) Overview of copyright key points and recommended further reading, by Naomi Korn Associates.
- Exceptions to Copyright (2021) Guidance regarding the UK’s exceptions to copyright for museums, libraries, archives and educational establishments, by Naomi Korn Associates.
- Copyright Notice: Duration of copyright (term) (2021) A useful guide explaining the duration of copyright in new and existing works. Produced by the UK Intellectual Property Office.
- Copyright and Social Media (2021) An overview of copyright and social media, including a breakdown of what we agree to when we share content on social media, plus top tips for you and your organisation, by Naomi Korn Associates.
- A Guide to Copyright and Working with Suppliers to Create Digital Content (2020) Best practice steps and guidance to help heritage organisations manage copyright effectively when working with suppliers. This guide was produced by Naomi Korn Associates as part of the Heritage Digital project funded by the National Lottery Heritage Fund.
- Free webinar: Copyright and Suppliers: How to get the rights you need in new digital content (2020) A webinar led by Naomi Korn outlining practical tools and frameworks to help heritage organisations understand copyright when working with suppliers. The webinar was run as part of the Heritage Digital project funded by the National Lottery Heritage Fund.
- Free webinar: A Basic Introduction to Copyright (2020) A webinar introducing the basics of copyright lead by Naomi Korn in partnership with DP Tripathi, Assistant Librarian at Biju Patnaik Central Library (BPCL).
- Copyright for Artists (2020) Top tips about copyright for artists, by Naomi Korn Associates.
- A History of Copyright (2019) Origination of copyright laws and information about the new EU Copyright Directive, by Naomi Korn Associates.
Intellectual Property Rights
- Brexit, Intellectual Property Rights and Heritage: What you need to know (2021) Information and guidance for heritage organisations about IP changes following the UK’s departure from the EU. This guide was produced by Naomi Korn Associates as part of the Heritage Digital project funded by the National Lottery Heritage Fund.
- Free webinar: Brexit, Intellectual Property Rights and Heritage: What you need to know(2021) A webinar led by Naomi Korn providing an overview of the recent changes to IP following Brexit. The webinar was run as part of the Heritage Digital project funded by the National Lottery Heritage Fund.
- IP and Copyright: Licensing & protecting within DAMS (2020) Presentation slides for a free webinar with Naomi Korn in partnership with Capture Ltd.
- Licensing Digital Resources to Create Revenue (2014) In this webinar, Naomi Korn discusses IPR and licensing digital content.
- Sustaining Digital Resources: The importance of intellectual property rights for universities (2012) Video with Naomi Korn.
Sorting out Rights and Permissions
- Copyright Rights Clearance Checklists (2021) Reasonable searches checklists, top tips for negotiating permissions and how to mitigate rights related risks, by Naomi Korn Associates.
- Digitisation, Contract Negoitation, Rights Management and You (2017) A blog post by Naomi Korn detailing key rights management considerations for your digitisation projects.
- Rights and Permissions: Not re-inventing the wheel (2011) Video of a presentation by Naomi Korn.
- Creative Commons Licences in Practice (2011) Video with Chara Balasubramaniam, Deputy Head of e-learning at St George’s, University of London. A film by Naomi Korn, Emma Beer, and Guy Shapir.
Orphan Works and Risk Management
- Orphan Works and 2021 Update (2021) A detailed overview of the changes to the management of orphan works the UK’s departure from European Union, by Naomi Korn Associates. This resource was originally published in March 2021.
- Orphan Works: Treasure in the rubbish (2011) A case study with the IWM’s document curator Rod Suddaby. Video created by the Strategic Content Alliance, which was directed by Naomi Korn.
- In From the Cold: A survey of the impact and extent of orphan works (2009) by Naomi Korn. Funded by Jisc and Collections Trust. The first UK comprehensive studies examining the scale and impact on public service delivery of orphan works.
Creative Commons and Open Content Licensing
- Digital guide: working with open licences (2021) A guide designed to help heritage organisations meet The National Lottery Heritage Fund’s open licencing requirement. Produced by Andrea Wallace and Mathilde Pavis for The National Lottery Heritage Fund.
- Guidelines for Re-using Images from Wiki Sites (2020) A detailed overview of copyright considerations when finding and using images online. Adapted from a blog post by Julia Ruxton, Consultant and Rights Researcher at Naomi Korn Associates in April 2020.
- Sources of Authoritative Free Content: UK museums and cultural organisations (2020) Factsheet and sources of free to use Creative Commons licensed images. Adapted from a blog post by Debbie McDonnell, Senior Consultant at Naomi Korn Associates in March 2020.
- Turning a Resource into an Open Educational Resource (2014) An animation providing an overview of the key considerations and next steps for teaching and learning staff when making open educational resources. Produced by the OER IPR Support project team funded by Jisc.
- Understanding IPR and Licensing for OER Projects (2010) Film by Guy Shapir; Naomi Korn explains how Jisc-funded projects can ensure that they consider the rights issues and choose the right Creative Commons licence for their project.
Open Data Licensing
- Open Data Licensing (2012) A short animation about open data licensing created by Naomi Korn as part of OER IPR Support Project funded by Jisc.
- Licensing Open Data: A practical guide (2011) A briefing paper by Naomi Korn and Charles Oppenheim examining the different types of licences and related issues associated with open data.
Copyright Training Resources
- Copyright, Licensing and Digital Images: Teaching the teachers what they can use when they teach (2016) Presentation slides by Naomi Korn
- A First World War Diary: A 21st century copyright problem (2016) Blog post by Naomi Korn on the legal conundrum posed by Ethel Bilborough’s diary.
- Copyright: The card game (2015) A training resource developed by Dr Jane Secker, Chris Morrison and Naomi Korn.
Museums: Copyright and Data Protection
- Orphan Works Guidance for Museums (2021) An overview of the options available for re-using orphan works as well as top tips for risk mitigation, by Naomi Korn Associates.
- Volunteers and Legal Compliance (2020) Copy of slides produced by Naomi Korn Associates in partnership with Museums Development Yorkshire looking at Volunteers and Legal Compliance within museums.
- Volunteers and Intellectual Property Rights FAQs (2020) FAQ’s developed by Naomi Korn Associates as part of a project commissioned by Museum Development Yorkshire.
- Intellectual Property Rights and Data Protection Legal Compliance at Your Museum – Guidance (2020) Developed by Naomi Korn Associates as part of a project commissioned by Museum Development Yorkshire.
- Advanced Copyright Q&A for Museums (2018) A collection of commonly asked copyright questions about IPR in museums. Written by Naomi Korn and funded by Museums Development Yorkshire.
- Copyright for Museums and Galleries(2017) Comprehensive overview by Naomi Korn about the copyright related activities and issues for museums and galleries (published on the Copyright User website).
- Exploiting Museum Assets – York Museums Trust Help Sheet (2015) An overview and guidance of how IP assets can be commercialised. Written by Naomi Korn and funded by York Museums Trust.
- Introduction to Data Protection – Summary Sheet (2021) An overview of data protection key points including recommended further reading, by Naomi Korn Associates.
- Data Protection: Implementation (2021) Guidance for the implementation of data protection management processes within your organisation, by Naomi Korn Associates.
- UK GDPR Top Tips (2021) A collection of UK GDPR top tips written by Naomi Korn.
- Free webinar: Brexit, Data Protection and Heritage: What you need to know (2021) A webinar led by Naomi Korn exploring the impact of Brexit and the priorities for heritage organisations in terms of their data protection obligations and the processing of personal data. The webinar was run as part of the Heritage Digital project funded by the National Lottery Heritage Fund.
- Data Protection for Artists (2020) Fact sheet and top tips about data protection specifically for artists, by Naomi Korn Associates.
- Museums & GDPR (2017) Webinar with Naomi Korn and the Information Commissioners Office arranged by the Museums and Heritage Show
Online Privacy and Security
- Online Privacy and Security Guide (2020) Advice and resources for heritage organisations to help them keep information secure and safeguard people’s privacy when working remotely and from home. Produced by Naomi Korn Associates for The National Lottery Heritage Fund.
Legal Compliance and the Workplace
- Working From Home: Legal compliance (2020) Top tips for working from home relating to data protection and copyright compliance, by Naomi Korn Associates.
Copyright and Data Protection – Webinar Archive
- A collection of free copyright and data protection webinars hosted on the Naomi Korn Associates YouTube channel – click here to visit and subscribe.