We believe passionately in giving back to the community. For over 17 years, Naomi Korn Associates has developed free and openly licensed copyright, licensing and data protection help resources. These are suitable for staff working in cultural heritage, educational and publishing contexts and available under the terms of a Creative Commons Attribution Share Alike Licence to enable free access and reuse.
Digital Skills for Heritage
- Online Privacy and Security guide (2020) Advice and resources for heritage organisations – keep information secure and safeguard people’s privacy when working online.
Legal Compliance and the Workplace
- Working from home: legal compliance (2020) Top tips for working from home relating to data protection and copyright compliance.
- A Basic Introduction to Copyright (2020) Free 1 hour webinar introducing the basics of copyright lead by Naomi Korn in partnership with DP Tripathi, Assistant Librarian at Biju Patnaik Central Library (BPCL).
- Copyright Fact Sheet (2019) Overview of copyright key points and recommended further reading
- Copyright Checklists (2019) Reasonable searches checklists, top tips for negotiating permissions and how to mitigate rights related risks.
- Exceptions to Copyright (2019) Guidance regarding the UK’s exceptions to copyright for museums, libraries, archives and educational establishments.
- A History of Copyright (2019) Origination of copyright laws and information about the new EU Copyright Directive.
- Orphan Works Guidance (2019) Guidance regarding tools and techniques for managing orphan works.
- IP and Copyright: Licensing & Protecting within DAMS (2020) Presentation sides for free webinar in partnership with Capture Ltd.
- Copyright for artists (2020) Top tips about copyright for artists.
Data Protection Essentials
- FAQS Data Protection (2018) by Naomi Korn Associates Ltd
- Museums & GDPR (2017) Webinar with Naomi Korn and the Information Commissioners Office arranged by the Museums and Heritage Show
- Top 10 GDPR Tips (2017) Blog post by Naomi Korn
- Data Protection for artists (2020) Fact sheet and top tips about data protection specifically for artists.
Creative Commons and Open Content Licensing
- Guidelines for re-using images from Wiki sites (2020) A detailed overview adapted from a blog post by Julia Ruxton, Consultant and Rights Researcher.
- Sources of authoritative free content: UK Museums and Cultural Organisations (2020) Factsheet and sources of free to use Creative Commons licensed images
- Turning a resource into an Open Educational Resource (2014) An animation by the OER IPR Support project team developed to outline the key issues and next steps for teaching and learning staff
- Understanding IPR and licensing for OER projects (2010) Film by Guy Shapir; Naomi Korn explains how Jisc-funded projects can ensure that they consider the rights issues and choose the right Creative Commons licence for their project.
Museums: Copyright and Data Protection
- Volunteers and Legal Compliance presentation (2020) Copy of slides from free webinar in partnership with Museums Development Yorkshire looking at Volunteers and Legal Compliance within museums.
- Volunteers and Intellectual Property Rights FAQs (2020) FAQ’s developed by Naomi Korn Associates as part of a project commissioned by Museum Development Yorkshire.
- Intellectual Property Rights and Data Protection legal compliance at your museum – Guidance (2020) Developed by Naomi Korn Associates as part of a project commissioned by Museum Development Yorkshire.
- Model Deed of Assignment of Copyright (Volunteers) (2020) Developed by Naomi Korn Associates as part of a project commissioned by Museum Development Yorkshire.
- Advanced Copyright Q&A for Museums (2018) by Naomi Korn and funded by Museums Development Yorkshire.
- Copyright for Museums and Galleries(2017) Comprehensive overview by Naomi Korn about the copyright related activities and issues for museums and galleries (published on the Copyright User website).
- Exploiting Museum Assets – York Museums Trust Help Sheet (2015) by Naomi Korn. Funded by York Museums Trust, an overview of how IP assets can be commercialised.
Orphan works and Risk Management
- In From the Cold: A survey of the impact and extent of orphan works (2009) by Naomi Korn. Funded by Jisc and Collections Trust. The first UK comprehensive studies examining the scale and impact on public service delivery of orphan works.
- Orphan works: Treasure in the rubbish (2011) A case study with the IWM’s document curator Rod Suddaby. Video created by the Strategic Content Alliance.
- Museums Orphan Works and Risk Management (2015). Funded by York Museums Trust, an overview of orphan works and risk management.
Open Data Licensing
- Open data licensing (2012) short animation with Phil Barker, Tony Hirst and Martin Hawskey
- Licensing open data: A practical guide (2011) A briefing paper by Naomi Korn and Charles Oppenheim examining the different types of licences and related issues associated with open data.
Sorting out Rights and Permissions
- Exceptions & Library Privilege Handouts (2019) A fact sheet on the UK’s exceptions to copyright
- Rights and permissions: Not re-inventing the wheel (2011) Video of a presentation by Naomi Korn.
- Creative commons licences in practice (2011) Video with Chara Balasubramaniam, Deputy Head of e-learning at St George’s, University of London. A film by Naomi Korn, Emma Beer, and Guy Shapir.
- Checklists: Rights, risks and rewards (2016) Blog post by Naomi Korn
- Digitisation, Contract Negoitation, Rights Management and You (2017) Blog post by Naomi Korn
Optimising and Exploiting Copyright: Sustainability and Strategic Thinking
- Sustaining digital resources: The importance of intellectual property rights for universities (2012) Video with Naomi Korn
- Licensing digital resources to create revenue (2014) In this webinar, Naomi Korn discusses IPR and licensing digital content.
Copyright Training Resources
- Copyright, licensing and digital images: Teaching the teachers what they can use when they teach (2016) Presentation slides by Naomi Korn
- Copyright: The card game (2015) A training resource developed in association with Dr Jane Secker and Chris Morrison
- A First World War diary: A 21st century copyright problem (2016) Blog post by Naomi Korn on the legal conundrum posed by Ethel Bilborough’s diary.
- Copyright Agreement Template (2018) Copyright clearance tool for seeking permissions and/or an assignment of copyright.