We believe passionately in giving back to the community. For over 16 years, Naomi Korn Associates has developed free and openly licensed copyright, licensing and data protection help resources. These are suitable for staff working in cultural heritage, educational and publishing contexts and available under the terms of a Creative Commons Attribution Share Alike Licence to enable free access and reuse.
- Copyright-fact-sheet (2017) Overview of copyright key points and recommended further reading
- Copyright Checklists (2019) Reasonable searches checklists, top tips for negotiating permissions and how to mitigate rights related risks.
- Exceptions to Copyright (2019) Guidance regarding the UK’s exceptions to copyright for museums, libraries, archives and educational establishments.
- A History of Copyright (2019) Origination of copyright laws and information about the new EU Copyright Directive.
- Orphan Works Guidance (2019) Guidance regarding tools and techniques for managing orphan works.
Museums and Copyright
- Advanced Copyright Q&A for Museums (2018) by Naomi Korn and funded by Museums Development Yorkshire.
- Copyright for Museums and Galleries (2017) Comprehensive overview by Naomi Korn about the copyright related activities and issues for museums and galleries (published on the Copyright User website).
- Copyright Agreement Template (2018) Copyright clearance tool for seeking permissions and/or an assignment of copyright.
Managing Copyright-related Risks in the Workplace
- Copyright-related risks, the business and legislative case (2016) Naomi Korn’s presentation slides for the CILIP Annual Conference
Creative Commons and Open Content Licensing
- Turning a resource into an Open Educational Resource (2014) An animation by the OER IPR Support project team developed to outline the key issues and next steps for teaching and learning staff
- Understanding IPR and licensing for OER projects (2010) Film by Guy Shapir; Naomi Korn explains how Jisc-funded projects can ensure that they consider the rights issues and choose the right Creative Commons licence for their project.
Orphan works and Risk Management
- In From the Cold: A survey of the impact and extent of orphan works (2009) by Naomi Korn. Funded by Jisc and Collections Trust. The first UK comprehensive studies examining the scale and impact on public service delivery of orphan works.
- Orphan works: Treasure in the rubbish (2011) A case study with the IWM’s document curator Rod Suddaby. Video created by the Strategic Content Alliance.
- Museums Orphan Works and Risk Management (2015). Funded by York Museums Trust, an overview of orphan works and risk management.
Open Data Licensing
- Open data licensing (2012) short animation with Phil Barker, Tony Hirst and Martin Hawskey
- Licensing open data: A practical guide (2011) A briefing paper by Naomi Korn and Charles Oppenheim examining the different types of licences and related issues associated with open data.
Sorting out Rights and Permissions
- Exceptions & Library Privilege Handouts (2019) A fact sheet on the UK’s exceptions to copyright
- Rights and permissions: Not re-inventing the wheel (2011) Video of a presentation by Naomi Korn.
- Creative commons licences in practice (2011) Video with Chara Balasubramaniam, Deputy Head of e-learning at St George’s, University of London. A film by Naomi Korn, Emma Beer, and Guy Shapir.
- Checklists: Rights, risks and rewards (2016) blog post by Naomi Korn
- Digitisation, Contract Negoitation, Rights Management and You (2017) blog post by Naomi Korn
Optimising and Exploiting Copyright: Sustainability and Strategic Thinking
- Sustaining digital resources: The importance of intellectual property rights for universities (2012) Video with Naomi Korn
- Licensing digital resources to create revenue (2014) In this webinar, Naomi Korn discusses IPR and licensing digital content.
- York advice sheet – exploiting assets (2015) by Naomi Korn. Funded by York Museums Trust, an overview of how IP assets can be commercialised.
Copyright Training Resources
- Copyright, licensing and digital images: Teaching the teachers what they can use when they teach (2016) Presentation slides by Naomi Korn
- Copyright: The card game (2015) A training resource developed in association with Dr Jane Secker and Chris Morrison
- A First World War diary: A 21st century copyright problem (2016) Blog post by Naomi Korn on the legal conundrum posed by Ethel Bilborough’s diary.